UWP applications (both apps and games) are a pivotal part of the Xbox experience. As we near the launch of the new console generation, we want to address some common questions regarding app and game development on the new Xbox family of consoles. If you have been developing for the Xbox One X using UWP and leveraging the Dev Mode Activation App, the same features will be supported on the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. Please refer to the following FAQs for further guidance.
Thank you for your partnership with Xbox!
- Will my current UWP app or game continue running on the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S?
- Yes, apps and games running on the Xbox One should continue to run at parity on the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. The underlying platform APIs and codecs that UWP apps are built on have been tested and validated with key scenarios by Microsoft and through thousands of hours of usage in our internal Xbox flighting program. These APIs and codes are supported on the new Xbox family of consoles. When the new Xbox family of consoles is released, we recommend doing additional validation of your UWP app or game on the chosen device if desired.
- How can I verify that my UWP app or game is working on the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S?
- Devkits are not publicly available. UWP application developers should continue to rely on the Dev Mode Activation App used on the Xbox One X to convert their retails consoles into a development kit to test for compatibility As the same APIs and codecs are used between the Xbox One X and the new Xbox family of consoles, an app that works on the Xbox One X should continue to work on the new Xbox family of consoles
- When the new Xbox family of consoles are available in retail, app partners can rely on Dev Mode Activation App to convert those consoles into a development kit.
- Do I need to change or rewrite my application from the current UWP application?
- No app development changes are required for the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. You use the same SDK, build environments, and UWP APIs to develop your applications. The same publishing process for UWPs on the Xbox One will continue to apply for the new Xbox family of consoles.
- As a reference, here are the links to the UWP documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-apps/getting-started
- Are there any features my app can take advantage of for the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S?
- We focused our efforts on backwards compatibility for apps on our new Xbox family of consoles to make it easier for our partners and enable a seamless transition for your app from the Xbox One generation to the next generation of Xbox consoles. This means that all of your favorite apps will carry over to the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S on day 1.
- We currently do not have additional features for apps on the new Xbox family of consoles that are not already a part of the Xbox One X.
- Will I need to sign a new agreement to bring my Xbox One UWP application to the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S?
- No, the existing Store App Developer Agreement terms will continue to cover distribution for apps on the new Xbox family of consoles. No additional agreements are required to run your app on the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
- Will my app show that it supports the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S on the Store?
- Yes, Microsoft will list the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S as a platform on the Store PDP. No additional work is required from the app partner to add in Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S listing to the Store